With Thanksgiving right around the corner, followed by Christmas, the holidays can be one of the most stressful times of the year. Though it is a source of joy for family get togethers, the travel, lack of rest and large feasts can steer you off traffic of your goals. While you are vacationing and traveling this holiday season, keep these five simple tips in mind:
- Stay hydrated. Carry a bottle of water with you during travel and yes, even during Black Friday shopping. You should be drinking at least 64oz of water a day, that’s eight, 8oz glasses. A great app I use for monitoring my water intake is called WaterLogged.
- Run a 5K. Schedule time for your fitness activity. Make it fun, get the family together for a Turkey Trot or JingleBell 5K.
- Snack smart. Have healthy snacks on hand and say no to those extra treats at the office. Commit to eat your 3 to 5 servings of vegetables each day.
- Put your own spin on a healthy baked good. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg, coconut oil for vegetable oil and almond meal or coconut flour for all-purpose flour. Use date puree to replace sugar and go for the fresh fruit instead of preservatives.
- Enjoy the holidays with some humor. As the saying goes, ‘Laughter is the best medicine.’ Remember, the physical healthy benefits include lower stress hormones, boosts immunity and prevents heart disease.
How do you plan to stay healthy through the holidays?
Link up with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run, and You Signed up for What?! and several other bloggers for Friday Five! Link up your post about the week’s theme so your post will be found in the linkup archives.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Like The Runner Within on Facebook
Follow The Runner Within on Twitter
Follow The Runner Within on Instagram